Smith Community House
(Formerly Known as “The Beach”)
914 East Main Street
Community House located in a residential area on the end
of East Main Street has been in existence since 1917,
best known for dances and the movie theater on the pier.
As years have transpired the log cabin style building,
built in the (1940’s) has been refurbished, and
the hurricanes of the 90’s washed away the pier.
1985, the Building was dedicated as the Charlie H. Smith
Community House in memory of “Charlie Smith”
for his many years of dedicated service to the teens of
the community. Mr. Charlie opened the building for the
youth and provided a meeting place for the teens for decades.
fenced playground area is open to the general public on
a daily basis and has access to restrooms. The common
uses of the grounds are a gathering of families for a
day out, birthday parties, and picnics. A volleyball court
and net are also provided. Many times in the spring elementary
aged school groups will gather for their “end of
the year parties”. Should anyone plan a large gathering
please notify the Town of Belhaven at 943-3055 Ext 210
to insure that several large groups don’t plan their
outing on the same time.
to the age of the building, it is not rented for private
parties but has seasonal hours of operation for refreshments,
a game of ping-pong and video games.
the beautiful waterfront on Pantego Creek; take a lunch
break or time out to read a book at the Community House.